Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Social Enterprise VISTA
Organization: Founded in 1987, Our House is a comprehensive program for the working homeless serving over 1,700 clients annually. Our House’s mission is to empower homeless and near-homeless families and individuals to succeed in the workforce, in school, and in life through hard work, wise decision-making, and active participation in the community. Operating on a 7-acre campus in central Little Rock, Our House provides working homeless and near-homeless individuals and families with shelter, housing, job training, education, children’s programs, and more to equip them with the skills to be successful in the workforce, the community, and their own families.
Reporting to the Resale Store Manager, the Social Enterprise VISTA will:
- Assess the volunteer needs of the From Our House to Yours Resale Store
- Conduct outreach (in-person, by phone and online) to recruit committed, long-term volunteers and short-term, project volunteers
- Coordinate and supervise the volunteer projects
- Develop a volunteer program that is specific to the store but that also integrates volunteers into the broader Our House organization
- Check and stay aware of store inventory that can be used to fulfill donation request
- Ensure that the Our House Resale Store locations have the necessary documents and materials to properly track and processes the intake of donations
- Monitor the effectiveness of Donation Center processes and systems and work with job trainees, staff, and volunteers to streamline and improve the processes and systems
This is a full-time national service position that provides a living allowance of approximately $12,456 over the course of one year plus a $6,095 Segal Education Award at the completion of a successful year of service. Health insurance is not available but some additional health benefits are available to VISTAs to help with the cost of co-pays and other medical expenses. Childcare assistance and relocation assistance are available to VISTAs who qualify. Life insurance and 1 year of non-competitive eligibility are also available. Some professional development training opportunities are offered and paid for by Our House. You are responsible for your own housing and other living expenses.
All year-round VISTAs will be thoroughly committed to Our House’s mission and to national service. The ideal candidate will embrace Our House’s Guiding Principles of Hard Work, Wise Decision-Making, Community, Initiative, Integrity, Safety, and Heart. All candidates should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking skills
- Strong people skills. Able to form effective working relationships with a wide range of people
- Strong organizational skills and ability to drive multiple simultaneous projects to completion
- At least 18 years of age
- Must be able to lift 35 pounds
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- A United States Citizen, National, or Permanent Resident
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Must commit to serve full-time (40 hours a week) for one-year starting March 16, 2020
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, include the title of the position or “Year-Round VISTAs at Our House” if applying to more than one. There are two more steps to the application process after we receive your resume. This position must be filled by February 21st. Priority will be given to applications received by February 1st. Our House is a drug-free workplace.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: