Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Family Stability VISTA
Organization: Founded in 1987, Our House is a comprehensive program for the working homeless serving over 1,700 clients annually. Our House’s mission is to empower homeless and near-homeless families and individuals to succeed in the workforce, in school, and in life through hard work, wise decision-making, and active participation in the community. Operating on a 7-acre campus in central Little Rock, Our House provides working homeless and near-homeless individuals and families with shelter, housing, job training, education, children’s programs, and more to equip them with the skills to be successful in the workforce, the community, and their own families.
Reporting to the Lead CAFSI Case Manager, the Family Stability VISTA will:
- Stay informed about existing resources for near-homeless families and communicate these resources to case managers and clients
- Identify CAFSI client needs and develop programs/strategies for meeting those needs. Current needs include: furniture, rental/utility assistance, diapers, and food
- Manage existing CAFSI partnerships, including relationships with Two Men and a Truck, Potluck Food Rescue, local landlords, area schools, and Utility Assistance Partners
- Support the broader Our House Career Center team by participating in one or more committees
- Ensure smooth internal operations by maintaining a calendar of food pantries, the van booking management system, and resources for Financial Empowerment courses
- Engage the community to source resources and services for clients as needed
- Grow the existing network of utility assistance partners
- Formalize partnerships and track partner contributions
- Assist with the planning of events, classes, workshops, and activities that promote the physical, financial, and emotional health of all clients
- Review, evaluate, and revise existing programs, materials, and methods with the case management team
- Track and input data on client attendance and activities
- Develop a strategy for maintaining engagement with Senior Members.
This is a full-time national service position that provides a living allowance of approximately $12,456 over the course of one year plus a $6,095 Segal Education Award at the completion of a successful year of service. Health insurance is not available but some additional health benefits are available to VISTAs to help with the cost of co-pays and other medical expenses. Childcare assistance and relocation assistance are available to VISTAs who qualify. Life insurance and 1 year of non-competitive eligibility are also available. Some professional development training opportunities are offered and paid for by Our House. You are responsible for your own housing and other living expenses.
All year-round VISTAs will be thoroughly committed to Our House’s mission and to national service. The ideal candidate will embrace Our House’s Guiding Principles of Hard Work, Wise Decision-Making, Community, Initiative, Integrity, Safety, and Heart. All candidates should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking skills
- Strong people skills. Able to form effective working relationships with a wide range of people
- Strong organizational skills and ability to drive multiple simultaneous projects to completion
- At least 18 years of age
- Must be able to lift 35 pounds
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- A United States Citizen, National, or Permanent Resident
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Must commit to serve full-time (40 hours a week) for one-year starting March 16, 2020
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, include the title of the position or “Year-Round VISTAs at Our House” if applying to more than one. There are two more steps to the application process after we receive your resume. This position must be filled by February 21st. Priority will be given to applications received by February 1st. Our House is a drug-free workplace.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: